Feds are charging dozens in Minnesota in an alleged scheme to steal $250 million in pandemic aid

Feds are charging dozens in Minnesota in an alleged scheme to steal $250 million in pandemic aid

Federal authorities charged 47 people in Minnesota with conspiracy and other charges Tuesday in what they said was a massive scheme that took advantage of the Covid-19 pandemic to steal $250 million from a federal program that provides meals to low-income children.

Prosecutors say the defendants set up companies that claimed to feed tens of thousands of children across Minnesota and then sought compensation for those meals through the USDA’s Food Nutrition Programs. Prosecutors say few meals were actually served, and the defendants used the money to buy luxury cars, property and jewelry.

“That $250 million is the floor,” Andy Luger, the US Attorney for Minnesota, said at a news conference. “Our investigation is continuing.”

Many of the companies that claimed to serve food were sponsored by a nonprofit organization called Feeding Our Future, which submitted the companies’ claims for reimbursement. Feeding Our Future and its CEO, Amy Bock, were among the accused, and authorities say she and others at her foundation filed fraudulent claims for compensation and took bribes.

Bock’s attorney, Kenneth Oedebock, said he would not be suspended until he had a chance to see the indictment, but that the indictment “does not imply guilt or innocence.”

In an interview in January after law enforcement searched her home and offices, among other sites, Bock denied the theft of funds and said she had never seen evidence of fraud.

Earlier this year, the US Department of Justice made the pandemic-related fraud prosecution a priority. The department has already taken enforcement action related to more than $8 billion in suspected epidemic fraud cases, including filing charges in more than 1,000 criminal cases involving losses of more than $1.1 billion.

The defendants in Minnesota face multiple charges, including conspiracy, electronic fraud, money laundering and bribery.

According to court documents, the alleged scheme targeted the US Department of Agriculture’s federal child nutrition programs, which provide food for low-income children and adults. In Minnesota, funds are managed by the state Department of Education, and children have historically been served meals through educational programs, such as schools or daycares.

Sites that provide food are sponsored by public or non-profit groups, such as Feeding Our Future. The sponsoring agency retains 10% to 15% of the reimbursement funds as an administration fee for submitting claims, sponsoring sites, and disbursing funds.

But during the pandemic, some standard requirements for sites to participate in federal food nutrition programs have been waived. Among them, the USDA has allowed for-profit restaurants to participate, and has allowed food distribution outside of educational programs. The indictment documents say the defendants took advantage of changes to program requirements to “enrich themselves”.

Luger said the plan included more than 125 million fake meals, with some of the accused concocting names for children using a random online name generator. He offered one compensation model that claimed a site served exactly 2,500 meals a day Monday through Friday — with no child ever getting sick or missing the program.

“These kids were simply invented,” Luger said.

So far, he said, the government has recovered $50 million in money and property and expects to recover more.

The documents show that Bock oversaw the scheme and that she and Feeding Our Future sponsored the opening of nearly 200 federal child feeding program sites across the state, knowing that the sites intended to make fraudulent claims. “The sites fraudulently claimed to provide meals to thousands of children daily within just days or weeks of their formation, despite very few, if any, staff, and little or no experience in providing that volume of meals,” the indictment read.

Feeding Our Future received nearly $18 million in Federal Child Feeding Program money in administrative fees in 2021 alone, and Bock and other employees received additional kickbacks, often disguised as “advising fees” paid to shell companies, according to shipping documents.

According to an FBI affidavit disclosed earlier this year, Feeding Our Future received $307,000 in damages from the USDA in 2018, $3.45 million in 2019, and $42.7 million in 2020. The repayment amount jumped to $197.9 million in 2021.

Court documents indicate that the Minnesota Department of Education has been increasingly concerned about the rapid increase in the number of sites sponsored by Feeding Our Future, as well as the increase in reimbursement.

The department began examining Feeding Our Future’s requests more carefully, denying dozens of them. In response, Facebook filed a lawsuit against the administration in November 2020, alleging discrimination, saying the majority of its sites are in immigrant communities. This case has since been dismissed.

#Feds #charging #dozens #Minnesota #alleged #scheme #steal #million #pandemic #aid

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.